Canadian Nationalist Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Mailing campaign to Elections Canada  (Read 128 times)

Maple Leaf Forever

• The thistle, shamrock, rose entwined
Mailing campaign to Elections Canada
« on: September 10, 2019, 09:43:18 PM »

In light of the recent events surrounding the Canadian Anti-Hate Network threatening to dox us all and Elections Canada's weak response up to now, I believe we should start a mailing campaign in order to convince Elections Canada not to release our information to groups that wish to harm us. I already wrote a template which you can find in first reply. Feedback, improvements, questions, etc. more than welcome.

In the meantime, a few points need to be addressed

• Should we do physical mail or e-mail or both?
  • Should we get in touch directly with Stéphane Perrault, Chef Electoral Officer? Or is it better to keep the pressure on Manya Laroche-Reinhardt?
  • Do we have an e-mail address on hand that we know our messages will be read?

Maple Leaf Forever

Re: Mailing campaign to Elections Canada
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2019, 09:43:42 PM »

To whom it may concern,

My name is [insert your name] and I’m writing to you as a member of the Canadian Nationalist Party (CNP) which obtained federal eligibility on August 29th, 2019.

I would like to share my concerns with you regarding the fact that my personal information is available on request and that groups such as the Canadian Anti-Hate Network have stated on their website their goal of publishing the names and street addresses of every party member and lobby media organizations to run hit pieces on us. By doing this, theses groups will not only insult and libel us but they are also banking on the fact that some individuals will be inspired by the articles published to seek confrontation with party members. In the current political climate, many people believe it’s acceptable to act violently towards people they disagree with. It is commonplace that demonstrations turn into battles as groups such as Antifa form counter-protests and behave violently in an attempt to silence and intimidate their opponents. Many instances of this happened in Toronto in recent times. My fear as a party member is that local activists crowd outside my home and harass me because they disapprove of my political opinions. This would threaten my physical safety.

I would like learn more on the process to follow in order to obtain a party’s membership information. Who can make such a request? Do they need to provide a reason for the request? How does Elections Canada evaluate the legitimacy of requests? Is there a risk assessment performed to ensure that the safety of the people whose information is shared is not compromised, as guaranteed by the Charter of Rights and Freedoms?

The fact that Elections Canada would enable activists to intimidate Canadians from forming a new political party by use of violence and threats is reckless and profoundly antidemocratic. I formally object to my name and home address being released for this purpose and I hope that you will not put my fellow party members in harm’s way by releasing theirs.

I look forward to reading your reply and answer any questions you may have.

Sincerely,

[Insert your name]

jonottawa

• Canada
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2019, 10:21:54 PM »

I think time is of the essence. You can't 'undox' somebody. It's probably already too late. But just in case ...

I will send you the email address that replied to me today. Perhaps you could contact that address and ask if that's a good contact point or not and if you can post the address publicly (or, perhaps better, share the address privately.) Or just send your email template there. You are free to reveal that I gave you the email address if that's something you wish to include in your message.

I won't be posting the address publicly in a public forum because I don't want people impersonating our members and sending inappropriate (vulgar or explicitly threatening) emails there and then we will get blamed/scapegoated.

Good luck.

Maple Leaf Forever

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2019, 10:51:27 PM »

I think you're right. It would be irresponsible to post this email for the world to see as we don't know precisely what purpose it serves and who's on the other end. Thanks for providing it to me. I'll email them right away and ask for the best place to voice our concerns. I will mention you gave it to me for the sake of transparency.

jonottawa

• Canada
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2019, 10:51:51 PM »

Or, since time is so short, I could send them your template myself and say something like:

Greetings,

One of our party members has drafted a letter to you (Elections Canada) that he wishes to use as the basis of a mailing campaign (having many of our members send you the same letter). He thinks my letters to you lack diplomacy, can you imagine that? At any rate, because time is short, and because his letter contains many critical points for you to consider, I am giving you a sneak preview.

To whom it may concern,

etc., etc.

Or I could just send them an email telling them to expect an email from you. Anyway, we can work it out over PM if you like. Or you can just take the ball and run, however you wish to proceed is fine with me.

Maple Leaf Forever

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2019, 11:05:05 PM »

Email is sent. I asked if this is a good place to voice my concerns and if not to put me in contact with somebody who can address them. Let's wait for their reply before sending any more emails. I'll try to get more people in the thread so we can develop a strategy and improve the template

jonottawa

• Canada
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2019, 11:12:53 PM »

Okey doke.

Minor improvements might be:

"I look forward to reading your reply and answering any questions you may have."

and in a similar vein:

"... their goal of publishing the names and street addresses of every party member and lobbying media organizations ..."

"theses groups"

"Many instances of this have happened in Toronto ..." (sounds better to me, anyway.)

Maple Leaf Forever

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2019, 05:57:49 PM »

This morning, I received a reply saying that they acknowledge my email and that it's been forwarded to the right people. No news from this "appropriate group" for the moment. Below, is the exact message I sent plus some grammatical corrections.

To whom it may concern,

My name is [insert name] and I’m writing to you as a member of the Canadian Nationalist Party (CNP) which obtained federal eligibility on August 29th, 2019. This email address was given to me by a fellow party member. If this is the wrong place to send this letter, please put me in contact with the person best able to assist me.

I would like to share my concerns with you regarding the fact that my personal information is available on request and that groups such as the Canadian Anti-Hate Network have stated on their website their goal of publishing the names and street addresses of every party member and of lobbying media organizations to run hit pieces on us. By doing this, these groups will not only insult and libel us but they are also banking on the fact that some individuals will be inspired by the articles published to seek confrontation with members of the CNP. In the current political climate, many people believe it’s acceptable to act violently towards people they disagree with. It is commonplace that demonstrations turn into battles as groups such as Antifa form counter-protests and behave violently in an attempt to silence and intimidate their opponents. Many instances of this have happened in Toronto in recent times. My fear as a party member is that local activists crowd outside my home and harass me because they disapprove of my political opinions. This would threaten my physical safety.

I would like to learn more on the process to follow in order to obtain a party’s membership information. Who can make such a request? Do they need to provide a reason for the request? How does Elections Canada evaluate the legitimacy of requests? Is there a risk assessment performed to ensure that the safety of the people whose information is shared is not compromised, as guaranteed by the Charter of Rights and Freedoms?

The fact that Elections Canada would enable activists to intimidate Canadians from forming a new political party by use of violence and threats is reckless and profoundly antidemocratic. I formally object to my name and home address being released for this purpose and I hope that you will not put my fellow party members in harm’s way by releasing theirs.

I look forward to reading your reply and answering any questions you may have.

Sincerely,

[insert name]
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 06:56:28 PM by Maple Leaf Forever »

jonottawa

• Canada
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2019, 06:36:33 PM »

I'm glad they acknowledged your email.

Punctuation is not my strong point, but perhaps there should be a comma after Canadian Nationalist Party (in the "My name is" paragraph)? If so, I'm not sure if it goes inside the bracket. That's where I'd put it, but who could know. (... as a member of the Canadian Nationalist Party (CNP,) which obtained ...) Hmmm, the comma looks funny there. I dunno.

Also I guess you didn't understand my "theses groups" post (it's hard to see the strikethrough in the s.) You have a legit typo in the "I would like to share" paragraph. "theses groups" should be "these groups".

It might be helpful if you created a template for Canadians who aren't party members to send too. Just a thought.

Oops, just noticed another hiccup I somehow missed:

I would like to learn more ...
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 06:45:59 PM by jonottawa »

Maple Leaf Forever

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2019, 07:02:38 PM »

I just corrected the typos you pointed out by editing my last reply. Thanks for the proofreading.

Page created in 0.08 seconds with 26 queries.