Canadian Nationalist Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What Ethnicity Are You?  (Read 515 times)

Patron

• Leader
  • Leader Of The CNP
What Ethnicity Are You?
« on: August 29, 2018, 07:43:27 PM »

It will be interesting to see the results.

cannat70

Re: What Ethnicity Are You?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2018, 12:33:33 PM »

you should put in metis as well

cannat70

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2018, 09:39:34 PM »

the metis have a distinct group they identify as. Legally yeah its the same but culturally the metis and aboriginal are different this is not even accounting for the different tribes.

Sir John Eh

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2018, 09:48:58 PM »

I am undecided...

Christopher

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2018, 11:36:33 PM »

Funny

Sue

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2018, 07:12:04 AM »

Aren't ethnicity and race technically two different things, even though there's usually a strong correlation as to which races practice which ethnic practices/beliefs? Most items in the list use words that only refer to race. Some labels can refer to either and/or both, like 'Jewish', which can refer to race, religious beliefs, and/or cultural practices. Cultural practices would be ethnicity, and someone's ethnic origin could be Jewish in that they grew up in a Jewish home, but it might not be their personal ways or beliefs, just their race.

That's the case with me. It's my race and it was some of my childhood cultural (=ethnic) surroundings. The rest of my childhood cultural surroundings/influence was the normal Canadian culture of the 60s/70s due to being born here, and it's never been my religious belief even as a kid when it was expected, and I don't practice any of the cultural stuff. I don't even hang out or attend things for the sake of family (who I'm almost entirely estranged from anyways except for rare emails where not much is said but happy birthday or a mass mailed joke/meme).

I'm even weirded out by currently living in a Jewish neighbourhood. It feels foreign to me now, especially if I travel deeper into the neighbourhood where I seem to be a magnet for every yenta (Yiddish word for busybody old Jewish ladies), who I've never met in my life, to just suddenly approach and demand that I answer personal questions (if looks could kill, I'd be in jail for murder, lol). I found a bug-free cheap apartment at the edge of a Jewish area a couple years ago, but it doesn't feel Canadian. Not many neighbourhoods do anymore, but this really stands out to me because those are the types of people I grew up around, yet it's hugely foreign and self-ghettoized. I've not lived near Jews since leaving home when I was 16, and not much of my childhood was even in Jewish "neighbourhoods".

Anyways, I'm unable to answer this poll. No answer fits. The options are all race options anyways and don't seem to be ethnicity/culture. Probably the Jewish option is referring to that too.

And, the question asks in the current tense, so even my ethnic origin/upbringing would not fit, whereas Canadian or the wider culture of "western" ethnicity, would fit better if it was on the poll.

Ryan

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2018, 11:00:38 AM »

Pretty sure ethnicity would be Celtic/Anglo/Slavic/etc.
https://i.4pcdn.org/pol/1483197025081.png

For Asians it would be Japanese/Chinese/etc.

It's all the sub-groups that make up each race

Sue

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2018, 01:18:54 PM »

Ethnicity is the set of cultural things that people have in common, and sub-race is a smaller division within a race, and nationality is to do with what country one's from.

Chinese and Japanese could refer to all three - cultural differences, sub-races within the East Asian race, and/or something to do with the 2 countries themselves (eg, citizen of China or Japan).

Sue

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2018, 05:17:40 PM »

Ethnicity is the set of cultural things that people have in common, and sub-race is a smaller division within a race, and nationality is to do with what country one's from.

Chinese and Japanese could refer to all three - cultural differences, sub-races within the East Asian race, and/or something to do with the 2 countries themselves (eg, citizen of China or Japan).
[redacted]
The legal definitions would probably be better for use in policies and questionnaires. A combo reference in the policy points would be more accurate, and it couldn't be misconstrued later. A combo of categories like race, ethnicity, religion, language, nationality, etc, leaves nothing to error or assumption about who it is the party's trying to protect from erasure by internationalists.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 09:20:30 PM by Morgan Wilson »

Art

• Demography is Destiny
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2019, 02:40:47 PM »

Race is a big one. Most of you are of European descent I am assuming so you’re race more than likely is Indo-European. Your ethnicity is a sub grouping in a race. So my race is Indo-European like you all. My ethnicity in that race is Balto-Slavic or just Slavic. And my nationality in that ethnicity would be western Slavic or more narrowed down Polish. Culture is a very vague and rubber definition. Especially now a days.

chrisaub

• Strength Athlete.
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2019, 04:33:06 PM »

Slavic & French admixture. So European.

Mr. Man

• Canada
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2019, 05:33:06 PM »

French- Canadian and Irish-Canadian 😈

Maple Leaf Forever

• The thistle, shamrock, rose entwined
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2019, 10:08:19 PM »

I'm a mix of various european ethnicities. I'm mostly French and Irish but also a bit of Dutch and Ukrainian.

Page created in 0.08 seconds with 23 queries.